I’m in the final stages of getting my West Wind Web Store app ported over to 2.0 by getting rid of all of the obsolete function calls and other non fatal messages. Frankly most of these deprecated APIs changes are lame and for the most part simple name changes or attaching the same logic to some other object. While I think cleaning up interfaces is not a bad idea, deprecating many of these old apis in this ways is a pain. I know, I know I can turn this off, but this code ships to customers and they'd have to turn it off too...

 

Anyway, I bit the bullet and went through and cleaned most of this up. The vast majority of these where related to ADO.NET parameters and ASP.NET Page Script objects, which have all moved to a separate Scripting object. Most of the stuff is just using a different method or possibly a different subobject - pure manual labor.

 

The last one I’m left with though is one I don’t know how to replace.

 

Warning         1        'System.Net.WebProxy.GetDefaultProxy()' is obsolete: 'This method has been deprecated. Please use the proxy selected for you by default. http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=14202'          D:\projects2005\wwIPStuff\wwHTTP.cs     500     31      wwIPStuff

 

I use GetDefaultProxy in my wwHttp component to automatically use Internet Explorer settings by default. One of the reasons I need to do this is so I can debug my HTTP requests with Fiddler which works through the IE settings.

 

I think from the reading that I’ve done on this, that .NET 2.0 now uses this setting by default now, so it’s probably no longer necessary to use this method, but I wonder then how you’d turn this behavior off.

 

Anybody know what the recommended replacement procedure is?

 

 

HTTP Retrieval Problems in ASP.NET 2.0 applications 

As a side note I’ve noticed that there is a problem with Whidbey and Proxy behavior. Under ASP.NET 2.0 doing XmlDocument.Load() or opening an Http Connection with HttpWebRequest, the connection seems to hang for about 10 seconds before starting to retrieve data on the first data retrieval.

 

This only happens under ASP.NET operation (or some other non-UI desktop account) – in a Console test of the same identical code runs fine without hesitation.

 

You can find out more about this here – I posted this as a bug on the feedback center:

 

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/ProductFeedback/viewfeedback.aspx?feedbackid=50fb0803-eea8-48cb-8d60-ac9db4433994

 

 

MSDN Feedback Center

Incidentally I have to say that MSDN Feedback center is a royal pain in the ass to use. It’s next to impossible to determine when an how a bug was updated and whether I need to respond to a bug or not. I see changes but often it’s just a status change without any action required. At one time I had 10 open issues and trying to keep up with it, I ended up missing a few valuable messages and feedback.

 

The process of submitting also is too tedious. I really gotta wonder WTF there isn’t a Web Service built straight into Visual Studio to do this. This would save a significant amount of re-typing all the information that the system can pick up automatically for me like the version number, language etc. When I fill out a bug I want to just fill out the error info and not take 5 minutes just to get to the point of actually filling a bug report.